District Meet will take place on two separate days next week at McCullough Junior High. See the link above. On Monday 3/5, Boys’ Pole Vault and ALL Field Events will take place. On Tuesday 3/6, Girls’ Pole Vault and all Running Events will take place. Please look at the information linked below for the events that you are in. IF there is a conflict, please email Coach Blackman.
Congratulations to all of the athletes who made it to the District Meet, and good luck in all of your events. GO HIGHLANDERS!
Welcome to the 2018 McCullough Junior High Girls Track and Field! For those of you who are new to the sport, Track and Field is divided into two categories: Track which includes the running and hurdling events and Field which includes the throwing, jumping, and vaulting events. It is very important that if you are interested in Track and Field that you make it to practice every day, on time and prepared to work hard. Every athlete MUST have a current physical on file in order to participate in practice and attend meets.
The first day of Practice will begin Jan 16th 2018. Time Trials will begin Monday and Tuesday Jan 22nd and 23rd. We will meet everyday after school promptly at 4:00 pm till 5:15 pm. All girls, 7th and 8th, will show up at the track by 4:05 pm. Practice is over at 5:15 pm. Pick up is on the West side of school. We will practice Monday through Friday up until the first meet, then we will no longer have Friday practices. No practice on the day of a track meet.Â If we have inclement weather, then we will practice indoors. **If you are currently in Basketball you DO NOT have practice until after your season is over.
Please sign up for Remind text notifications:
Text @mccgirlstf to 81010
- Practice starts at 4:05 pm. Do Not be late! You need to arrange to be picked up by 5:15 pm. Being picked up after 5:15 pm and repeated tardies could potentially cause dismissal from the team.Â
Clothing. Dress appropriately. The beginning of track season has unpredictable weather.Â Check the weather forecast for that day so you can dress appropriately.Â Â
- Appropriate attire includes; Sports Bra, running shorts, running tights with shorts on top, running shoes: No Converse, Vans, or other non-running shoes. Hair needs to be in a ponytail or pulled back. Running shirt: either tank top or t-shirt; no spaghetti straps or cut off shirts. Bring sweats when the weather gets colder. You are not required to have running spikes, but we do recommend it.Â Â Please have a water bottle to stay hydratedÂ
- Please read the McCullough School Handbook for appropriate clothing. Violations will be handled according to McCullough handbook policy.Â
- Attendance is Mandatory. However if there is a conflict it is the athletes responsibility to inform a coach so we do not mark you down for skipping practice that day.Â
Must have aÂ 2017-2018Â Pre-Participation form and PhysicalÂ formÂ and a copy of the athletes birth certificate turned into the coaches office.
If you participated in another sport or tried out this year (ex. football, volleyball, basketball, & cross country), we will get a copy of your physical from your coach. You will not be allowed to practice until you have a physical on file!Â
**Must complete a travel card- this will be handed out the first day ofÂ Track and Field Practice
Here is a list to help remind you of the paperwork:
- Physical/UIL forms â These documents are required to practice and/or tryout for any sports offered at McC.Â Â For the sport please write: ALL SPORTS, this will prevent gettingÂ an additional physical for a different sport later in the school year.
- Parent / Athlete Acknowledgement and Agreement â Parent and Athlete signature required.
- Athlete Travel Card â Fill out completely and put grade level of the athlete.Â Travel Card
- Each Athlete will ride the bus to away meets. It is their responsibility to bring all necessary equipment and be on the bus on time. Being late for the bus is unacceptable.Â If you do not want your child to ride back on the bus to the school please sign them out on the sign out sheet. Otherwise they will be taken back to McCullough on the bus after the conclusion of the Track and Field meet.
- Each Athlete is responsible for getting to each even and checking in. Missing an event without prior permission(injury or illness) from a coach is not permitted.
- At our Home Meets we do not charge an admission fee. However, other meets may charge an admission fee. It is up to the host of the meets to determine how much they will charge.
- We want to strive to eliminate all possible injury to athletes and spectators alike.Â Interfering with an even is dangerous, illegal, and greatly increases the likelihood of an accident and disqualification.Â Please stay off and away from the track and the field.
- Valuables. We are not responsible for lost of stolen items left at a meet or practice. Rule is: if you do not want it stolen, do not bring it
- Concessions. We can not guarantee that each event will have a concession stand. Meals are up to each athlete to provide for themselves.Â Be smart on eating ie: nachos and chili fries is not advised.
- Â All McCullough school rules apply at a meet. Any violations of the McCullough School rule and policies will be addressed accordingly.
- Sign out is with the coaches. A parent/guardian must sign out their athlete only. You can not sign out another athlete.
- Violations of team rules will be punished according to McCullough school policy and ultimately may result in removal from the team.
- We will leave for most track meets at 2:30 pm. If you are unsure of where to go, you may follow the bus after it departs at 2:30 pm to the Track and Field meet.
Purchase your Track and Field sweats from theÂ McCullough Web Store.Â You have until Friday Jan. 19th to place your orders!
Track and Field Events:
- Pole Vaulting will require practicing at TWHS one day per week (Normally on Tuesdays, so you must have after school transportation to TWHS).
- You may participate in a maximum of five events. Either three running events and two field events or three field events and two running events.Â
- Everyone who tries out for track and field makes the team. However, due to limited space in meets, we are only allowed to bring a select number of competitors for each meet. Each week there will be a try out/competition to determine who competes in each event. Our goal is to allow everyone to compete in at least one meet, but due to limited space this may not happen. Just because you do not make a specific meet roster, it does not mean you are not on the team.
You do not have to be in athletics to compete in track and field.
** Each meet is subject to change date and time. Due to weather and other forces beyond our control., meets may move dates, times or be cancelled altogether. As soon as we find out about a change we will announce it, Post it on the website, and allow the athletes to call home and tell parents/guardians about changes. The quickest way to receive important information is to sign up for REMIND:Â Â Text @mccgirlstf to 81010Â
We will be hosting the District Meet this year. We do have help from other coaches at McCullough to run certain field events. We do need parent volunteers for such things as; hospitality, timing, organizing events, heat sheets, etc.Â If you are interested in assisting with us please feel free to contact Coach Blackman or Coach Cantu.
Each Coach is assigned a duty. If you have a questions about an event please try to contact the primary coach of the event. If there is a concern, please address Coach Blackman for girls Track and Field and Coach Cantu for boys Track and Field.
Head Girls Coach- Nicole Blackman
Head Boys Coach- Edgar Cantu
Girls Track and FieldÂ Assistant Coaches
Distance Runners- Kristin Collins
Hurdles- Holly Stephens
Relays- Nicole Blackman
Shot Put/Discus- Jason Corely
Pole Vault- Adrian Cortez
High Jump- Kamesha Sellers
Long Jump/Triple Jump- Marc Johnson